Barrow upon Humber
Welcome to the village and community of
Copyright & Design, Tim Labourne, Trevor Millum & Steve Johnson
Copyright & Design, Tim Labourne, Trevor Millom & Steve Johnson
‘About the village’ comprises two sections, ‘General’ and ‘History’. In practice, it’s quite hard to separate the two but as a general rule, basic information about places or events in Barrow will be here. For more detailed facts about the development of Barrow over time, click on the History tab.
This is a website in development and we are always glad to receive new information.
Places of Interest in Barrow
The Methodist Church was rebuilt in the mid nineteenth century and can accommodate about three hundred people on two floors. There’s a Sunday School building attached to it , which is used by the community for such things as parties and the Parish Council Meetings. See the Barrow Churches tab for details of services etc.
Holy Trinity Church is the parish church of Barrow upon Humber in the Diocese of Lincoln. The sister church is Christ Church, New Holland and since 1984 the parish has been a ‘united benefice’ with All Saints, Goxhill. There has been a church here since the seventh century but the present building, or parts of it, date back to about 1000.
See the Barrow Churches tab for details of services etc.
Next to the church are the Vicars Rooms, a meeting place available for hire and venue for a number of village events.
Barrow Hall is situated at the southern end of the village and could be overlooked by the casual visitor. It is now a residential care home offering specialised nursing care for 25 adults with a range of mental health problems and varying degrees of challenging behaviour. It was built in 1789 for George Uppleby Esquire, a local Gentleman of Privy Chamber to George the Third, and is a Grade 1 Listed building.
The Village Hall is easily recognized as the orange painted building in the High
Street near to the Market Place. It is a venue for many village events and societies
and is especially well-
Papist Hall, the imposing building half way along the High Street, is one of the oldest buildings in the village and was extensively restored in the 1980s having been in danger of becoming derelict. It now comprises four separate apartments on short term lets.
Down Hall, a tall square-
Midby Park is situated next to Foresters Hall and is an open area of parkland for the use by anyone in the village. It was gifted to the village by a local farmer and is held in trust by the Parish Council.